M22 6a16 16 0 1 0 16 16A16 16 0 0 0 22 6zm13. Jump to navigation Jump to search Casino other uses, see Homburg. Coat of arms of Bad Homburg v.
Bad Homburg vor der Höhe is the district town of the Hochtaunuskreis, Hesse, Germany, on the southern slope of the Taunus mountains. Local tradition holds that Bad Homburg’s documented history began with the mention of the Villa Tidenheim in the Lorsch codex, associated with the year 782. This Villa Tidenheim was equated with the Old Town, named «Dietigheim». Local historian Rüdiger Kurth doubted this traditional story based on his study of written sources and local factors. White Tower, viewed from Loewengasse 7. Bad Homburg Golf Club House in the Kurpark.
Bad Homburg Tennis Club in the Kurpark. Russian Chapel», or rather All Hallows’ Church. Günther Binding, accepted as evidence of two former castles having been built on the site, one after the other, but each having burnt down later. Further digs by the University of Frankfurt at Bad Homburg’s Schloss during April 2006, once again initiated by Kurth and managed by Professor Henning, resulted in the discovery that it was actually only one burnt layer, from a half-timbered building—- possibly a castle with towers—- which from ceramic finds could be dated to the 12th or 13th century. Homberg acquired market rights about 1330, but the document granting these rights is said to have been lost.
The town’s name, «Homburg», is from the Hohenberg Castle. The postfix «vor der Höhe» was probably first recorded in a document of 1399. The designation «Bad» was not conferred until 1912. The Hessen-Homburg noble family of landgraves was initiated by Friedrich I of Hessen-Homburg. During 1866, as a result of the Austro-Prussian War, Homburg became Prussian territory.
With the beginning of the spa industry in the town during the mid-19th century, which profited greatly from its casino, the town became an internationally famous spa town. Bad Homburg was favoured particularly by Russian nobility for its baths. The «Bad Homburger Golf Club 1899 e. Röderweisen in Dornholzhausen—nowadays part of Bad Homburg—- is Germany’s oldest golf club. Not far away stands the Russian Chapel—- more properly called All Hallows’ Church—- an Eastern Orthodox church the first stone of which was laid in the Russian Imperial couple’s presence on 16 October 1896, although they did not attend when it was consecrated almost three years later.